Fourth Arts Block (FABnyc) is pleased to announce “FABLES,” a public art opportunity for artists to explore the Lower East Side’s living cultural heritage, rich historical legacies, and current issues in public storytelling through visual art.
- Four to five artists (or artist teams) will be selected through an open call process,by a panel of jurors, to produce murals located in outdoor sites throughout the Lower East Side neighborhood.
- Project and artist selection will be based upon artistic quality, merit and appeal of content, connection to the community, feasibility of implementation, and contribution to public discourse.
- Each selected artist will receive between $1,500 to $2,500 as a combined artist fee and production budget.
- The first FABLES exhibition will launch in April 2014.
- Each artwork will be exhibited for between 1 and 3 months, and will open within several weeks of each other, creating a 3-month period of sequential public exhibition launches.
Applicant artists should live, work and/or have deep roots in the LES. Ideal applicants should be invested in a story collecting or investigative process that will delve deeply into the neighborhood’s legacy and/or current culture. Exhibits should contribute to community identity and sense of place, drawing on the stories of the LES and its residents. This may include memorable cultural experiences, local traditions and collaborations, vanished cultural traditions, new beginnings, or underground movements.
Artwork proposals can include: murals, collages, wheat pastes or other flat medium. In some cases, we would consider interactive new media or projections.
Note: Feasibility (budgetary, logistical, and otherwise) and permitting requirements will be additional criteria by which proposals will be evaluated. Please be realistic with your proposals. Locations and details subject to change. Artists must be available to produce the exhibition on site during Spring/Summer 2014.
Submission Deadline: 12/13/2013
Project Development: 2/2014-4/2014
Exhibition Period: 4/2014-07/2014
FABnyc Director:Tamara Greenfield
Public Art Director: Keith Schweitzer
Jurors: Legacy Russell, Ethan Vogt, John Bowman, Molly Garfinkel
Extra Place (East 1st St, btw Bowery & 2nd Ave)
Ideal Glass (East 2nd St, btw Bowery & 2nd Ave)
La MaMa Arcade (East 3rd St, btw Bowery & 2nd Ave)
First Street Green Park (corner of 2nd Ave & Houston St)
Centre-Fuge (East 1st St, near 1st Avenue)
This project is supported in part by an award from the National Endowment for the Arts/ Art Works. This program is also supported, in part, by public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs, in participation with The City Council.
More information and full Request for Proposals available here: http://fabnyc.org/images/FABLES-Request%20For%20Proposal.pdf